Thursday, September 18, 2008

Choosing to Thrive...

... not just survive.

I have never had a mantra but if I were going to choose one today (& maybe I should!) this would be it. Or perhaps I should think of it as more of a breath prayer. Breathing is good. I am going to need breathing in the days, weeks, months to come.

What's embarrassing is that I am not altogether sure what "thriving" looks like. I am expert at getting through the days--even good days, even normal, everyday days seem to get checked off as simply another "to do." Which is why I'm feeling it's going to be so terribly important to begin choosing to thrive. Choosing NOT to "just get by." Choosing NOT to "just make it through." But rather choosing to change, to grow, to learn, to shape & be shaped. Choosing to become more fit, more creative, more wise, more focused.

I am choosing to take a terrible, awful, no-good stage of life & force it into something that is more than passable, manageable, not-so-bad. I am choosing to make it wonderful, healthy, & abundant.

Now... how??

2 comments:

pamnoahleonard said...

One step at a time... easier said than done!

I can actually say I understand this trying to thrive and not just survive...

As Joe, andrew, & kathleen are in cincy and noah, nicole & I are in newark... we are trying very hard to get through the craziness of this season in our life. It is so wonderful to read what you have written here... I tend to get so caught up with what is going on with "me" that I forget the rest of the world is experiencing life just as I am.

looking forward to reading more of your blog.

we love you
Pam

Sherry said...

I, too, understand thriving not just surviving. Each time we moved it was really important for us to thrive and not just survive. Important for me but also important to me for each of you. I believed I thrived (most times!!) and I hope you feel you did too. Based on the young woman you have become, I'd say you did. You have all the tool to do this in the coming months and adding prayer to that (as struggle for me too) will only make you stronger and calmer.

I love you,

Mom