Sunday, February 22, 2009

Completed!






















Jean and I made a promise that we would both finish this first project before we begin the second one in the book... tomorrow! (Frankly she was much closer to achieving this goal than I was!) So I worked hard most of the day yesterday to try to wrap it up. Spent a whole lot of time making fabric pages (theoretically similar to the G-R-O-W letters hanging down) on some pretty spendy double-sided-fusible interfacing... and then absolutely hated the way they were turning out! (Due in part to one of the problems I mentioned in the previous post--bad, bad brushes--but also, I think, due to the fact that I didn't really know what the pages were going to be for in the first place, so I wasn't working on them with any particular intention.)

But after a few stops and starts and pauses for gel medium and paint and ink to dry, I was very happy with the insides of the book covers; on a whim I had decided to make them "continuous" rather than two separate pages, so after the fiasco with the pages-that-might-have-been, I made the executive decision (at about 11:00 last night) to turn the piece into two-panel display rather than a journal. (Yes, I still feel a little guilty for not following the book's directions! LOL I admit, I'm a little Type A... trying to work on that too!) I left the back cover as-is; the color of the old hardbound book worked for me, and I simply did some reflective journaling on it with a white gel pen.

I am feeling rather proud of myself for finishing this! I really think for the most part I was able to follow my intuition, "letting go" of the parts of it that weren't right and letting
the piece become what it is without worrying too much about the final product. Thanks Jean for going on this journey with me--I'm looking forward to beginning #2! :)

3 comments:

Sara Moriarty-delaFuente said...

Super fabulous job! Don't feel guilty about not following the directions AT ALL. I love that you put your own spin on it. It came perfectly!

Question - where did you find clear gesso? I have looked at all the art supply stores and haven't found it. Did you order it online?

I can't wait to see more!

Nikki said...

Hi Sara! :) Thanks for visiting and thanks for your comments! I just picked up the clear gesso at Michael's; it is Liquitex brand. I would think dickblick.com would have it??

Lan said...

Wow, that looks very cool and artsy Nikki, would look great on a canvas.