Thursday, March 19, 2009

Serenity

Click here to go to the SALT blog to read Ruth's "Serenity" reflection and see the rest of the team's amazing work!

Nothing like a bit of a challenging topic for my first regular SALT contribution! LOL Serenity is not something I come by naturally (I wonder how many of us do? I'm always envious of people who seem to move through life peace-full-ly... but I'm thinking most, if not all, of them have worked very very hard to be able to do that).

It took me awhile to decide how to approach this topic. I expect to make mostly layouts for SALT, as I'm not much of a cardmaker, so I decided to start with photos and see if anything in my boxes of prints inspired me. I found a few (VERY few--go figure) possible "serene" photos, but this is the one that stood out... a sunset (or sunrise? I forget! LOL) view of Lake Michigan, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. "He leads me beside still waters" was then a bit of an obvious choice for scripture to pair with the picture.

Making the page itself was also a challenge; I am such a sketch-based scrapper, the idea of putting together a layout by myself from scratch is foreign to me now! To think I used to do that all the time--wow! But for this design team work I am creating my own layouts, and really trying to incorporate design principles and embellishing ideas I've learned from the various online classes I've done. For this particular page, I also incorporated another scrapping challenge (thanks, Gretchen) to include stamping on a layout--something I don't do often enough. I stamped, cut out, and distressed all the letters for "he" and "restores" (a Close to My Heart alpha); the "still" letters were traced from an old Heidi Swapp chipboard alpha sheet, onto Cosmo Cricket Gretel paper, and cut out and inked.

I am finding that participating on the SALT team, and working on other creative ventures like the Taking Flight projects, has me thinking about the bigger picture of my creativity and calling... my Lent reading is doing the same thing, with a focus on the art of writing. I guess that's the point of the discipline(s): not to be the "product" in and of itself, but to point toward areas of further growth, development, and Becoming. The truth is, I have never been very intentional about including expressions of faith in my writing or artwork. What I'm noticing, in all these areas, is how that expression seems to be arising naturally. I think "natural" is a good thing (especially if "forced" is the alternative--I don't want it to be forced)... but I am thinking, now, that more intentionality would be a good thing too. I'll definitely be thinking more and more about what this means for me and for my creative work!

4 comments:

Lythan said...

thankyou for sharing your process Nikki. I think the layout is so beautiful. The mixture of fonts works so well

Jean said...

Beautiful page Nikki! I am so proud of you designing your own layouts for the SALT projects. I'm sure that they will come to your much easier as you do more and more. And way to go with your growing acceptance of the "process" aspect of creating!

I liked your comments about how expressing your faith is arising more "naturally". For me, it almost always seems to be a "given" connection, and I can't even begin to separate my creating from my faith life. Just to say the word "creating" makes that connection come to life and brings a smile of gratitude to my face for having the ability to create (and hopefully add some joy to our world!)

We'll talk more! Great work, friend! :)

Stacy said...

love your layout!!

Hazel said...

I love your choice of photo and appreciate the route you've taken to achieve the beautiful LO x