Thursday, March 29, 2012

Prayers for a Whole Life : Day 37

a prayer for the way
(inspired by Psalm 119)


You, O Lord, are our path and our destination.
You guide us over rough and smooth places,
over mountain ridges and through deep valleys,
across the waves and into the wilderness.
By Your word You lead us, shaping us for the journey
by Your laws and by Your love.
     With my whole heart I seek You;
     do not let me stray from Your commandments.
We don't plan to go the wrong way,
to stray from Your narrow roads; yet we do.
Forgive us when we make wrong turns
and when we ignore Your direction.
Correct our missteps, and lead us back to Your side.
     I treasure Your word in my heart,
     so that I may not sin against You.
We are inclined to be distracted
by the shining attractions along the way:
prestige, achievement, prosperity, popularity, reputation.
Keep our focus fixed on You, and help us
to measure our sojourn by Your standards.
     I delight in the way of Your decrees
     as much as in all riches.
Make Your home in our hearts,
and be with us in every step.
Permeate our  minds, our hearts,
our hands and feet so that our every thought,
every feeling, every action may be a reflection of Your grace.
     I will meditate on Your precepts,
     and fix my eyes on Your ways.

No comments: