So when WM[squared] released this "Everyday" themed grab-bag at ScrapMatters, it seemed like a good opportunity to bite the bullet and attempt a "week in the life" project. I knew I wanted it to be mini; premade (with spots for a bit of journaling and adding in small photos); and I knew I didn't want to spend big bucks on it! I went scrounging through my old craft supplies and the odds and ends of leftovers from my old paper-scrapping days, and came up with a handful of 6x6 page protectors, some garden twine, and a Shutterfly box, and I created this:
I created four 6x6 layouts, arranged for printing on each 12x12 sheet; two full sheets gave me a title page + seven days of the week. There's room for a bit of writing on each day's journaling spot. I'll print a handful of small photos from each day and arrange them (artfully of course! ha!) on the background. It should be a simple, low-maintenance way to preserve a "snapshot" of our life right now.
This is a simple, inexpensive way to use up extra page protectors; I loved the saying on the front of my Shutterfly box, and the color matched this kit perfectly... but any kind of sturdy material can create a cover! Everything from cereal boxes (covered with papers---or not!!) to fabric can be secured around leftover page protectors and bound with ribbon, twine, book rings, or whatever you have at hand. Just be sure to measure your page protectors before cutting your covers (and it's better to go big and need to trim down later on!). My pages had an extra half inch of plastic on the "bound" side, which allows the pages to turn easily and remain flat, so my covers aren't really square--I allowed extra space on the binding side and scored the covers so they would open easily and accommodate the turning pages.
And here's another quick peek at an older but similar upcycled project, using WM[squared]'s Rock Star release (kit and word art):
The cover is a book from the used bookstore ("The Illustrated Dictionary of Guitars"); I cut out the inner pages with a craft knife, punched the covers with my Cropadile tool, and used large book rings to hold my page protectors in place. In this case I had to make my own protectors to fit; I started with standard 8.5x11-sized office-supply protectors, cut them to size, and then messily stitched up the edges on my sewing machine. I left one short end open so I can easily slip in event tickets.
I hope you'll try out some of your own upcycled projects!