Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lent, Day 28: Seeing clearly.

Today's reading: Mark 8:22-30

Ever since my computer-induced four-day pause earlier this month, I have evaluated every day's scripture readings to see where I could combine readings in order to make up the lost time and be on track for Holy Week. Initially I didn't think it made sense to combine these two stories: the blind man healed, and the apostle Peter's confession of Jesus as Christ. But as I read and reread them, and thought about what was going on in them, the commonality between them seemed to come slowly into focus. Both of these stories share one thing in common: the issue of seeing, clearly.

The God who created all there is to see, and who created sight itself, was certainly capable of restoring vision to a man who has physically blind.

But things get more complicated, perhaps, when spiritual vision is the concern. On the way to Caesarea, Jesus asked his companions: "Who do people say that I am?" They report back to him the rumors flying around the towns: some people say John the Baptist, some say Elijah or one of the prophets. Then Jesus pushes them further: "What about you? Who do you say that I am?"

What did they do with this question hanging in the air, like a speech balloon above their heads? Was there silence, just crickets chirping in the background? Or did twelve hands shoot up into the air, and twelve mouths stumble over each other to get out the words? We don't know. The only voice we hear is Peter's: "You are the Christ."

The disciples have felt Jesus' hands on the eyes of their hearts, and in this moment of clarity, the disciples finally see.

What about me?

God of sight,
give me clear vision
to see who you are.

No comments: